Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Patience

A poem about the difficulty of patience, depicted as a combatant difficult to contend with

What uncertain foe is before me?
Why, this evasive thing is no enemy!
Rather a highest of virtues is he

How difficult he is to befriend!
Would that I could give him his due
To mend those long tattered fences

Note that he is a prey most elusive
Slippery and difficult to hold
In an instant he seeks to flee from you

If only we could reconcile
To taste his bittersweet peace
A mighty weapon against folly

Yet he is a hard thing to love
For he opposes our base nature
Man little enjoys being held at bay

Nonetheless, struggle with him I must
For if I wish this same thing from God
I must likewise show it, myself

And what an ally he can be!
A valiant shield toward rash folly
A stalwart guardian against haste

No true value comes without price
This troublesome blessing much the same
Yet his service to you will outweigh much
What he bestows worth more than gold

No comments:

Post a Comment